Tag Archives: Tree structure
Posted in: Book writing software by Edwin on September 25, 2009
In our under-development project – Writing Outliner, the outliner is one of the main parts of the writing software, it turns Microsoft Word™ into a true outliner software.
So what is a outliner
Well, the word outliner in the Windows world is not used as widely as it’s in the Mac world, but you must be familiar with the similar words: folders, tree or hierarchy, right? The following are some examples of using a outline to manage information:
- Microsoft Office Outlook uses folders to organize emails into groups.
- Windows Explorer uses folders to manage all your files in your computer.
- Scrivener, the famous book writing software for Mac uses a outliner to manage all documents in a book writing project.
- Evernote, the famous note taking software uses hierarchical treeview to manage the notes it clipped.
Why outliners are so useful?
With a hierarchical outline view, you can view and manage the information at a larger scale without going into the details, this make it easier to get an overview and take control of the structure of a large amount of information.
Why Microsoft Word™ needs a outliner?
Let’s take writing a book as an example, with an outline view you can view and manage the book chapter by chapter, if you have ever written a book with Microsoft Word™ without the help of other software you should know the pain when navigating such a long document to find something for amendment.
How Writing Outliner™ differs from other outliner softwares?
- Writing Outliner is specifically designed for writers, outlining is only one of the main features of it, and there are other many features such as full text search, index cards, tagging, writing-task-related document properties, second viewer for viewing research materials, taking notes, and so on, for making the writing process smoother and easier.
- It’s seamlessly integrated into Microsoft Word™, so you can make good use of the industry leading word processor.
Note: Writing Outliner is currently under development and it’ll be come a versatile writing software for writers, if you are interested you please sign up our newsletter so that you can get informed when it’s ready (for beta testing or purchasing).